To be effective, a manager needs to have several critical conversations with his or her employees. Done right, these discussions can increase performance, enhance engagement, and improve both productivity and bottom line business result. Simply put: they are too important to conduct without preparation.
Employee Conversations Worth Having, provides an overview of the key principles of effective conversations and well as a description of a time-tested coaching conversation model. It also provides a series of 14 step-by-step discussion guides that cover every stage of the employee life-cycle. This comprehensive guide will help managers:
- Put the right people with the right skills in the right roles: Interviews, development planning, training on tasks, and delegating
- Paint a clear picture of the future: Goal-setting, salary discussion and career planning
- Hold people accountable: Providing feedback and addressing performance problems
- Reward and recognize the right behavior: Discussing salary adjustment and bonus payments
- Track progress with metrics: Conducting quarterly, mid-year, and year end reviews